Joy's Six Month Adventure in Mexico
Comments are more than welcome, but please sign your name! All comments are moderated, so they will not appear right away. And thanks for dropping by!
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Estoy Leyendo
I have been reminded frequently of late that the best way to improve your vocabulary is to read. Since my Spanish vocabulary is rather lacking, I've been trying to read in Spanish, but it is slow going. I love to read; in fact it is my favorite form of entertainment, so it's hard to read something that feels like work. And reading in Spanish is definitely work, since I have to stop and look up every tenth word. BUt anyway I'm reading what was my Valentines Day present from Amy -- Harry Potter y el cáliz de fuego. I'm learning a lot of vocabulary, but some of it is not going to be very useful. For example, I don't think that anyone in Mexico will ever offer me any branquialgas (gillyweed), nor am I likely to run into a colacuerno húngaro (Hungarian Horntail). But, hey, you never know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Joy,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the invite! You're a really good writer and picture taker, and I enjoyed seeing San Miguel de Allende through your eyes. Plus, many super cute photos of Indie!
love
Heidi
Hi Joy and Amy
ReplyDeleteMy first invitation to a blog. Feels like a coming out party! Love hearing all the news and seeing the great pictures. Indigo gets cuter every day. Look forward to seeing and reading more.
Love to both
Noni
Hi Joy! & Amy & Indigo!
ReplyDeleteWow 3 yrs! and she's talking with "enormous" I bet her Spanish vocab is catching up with yours too. Im so jealous that you're in Mexico. Was this a UU call that took you there? How did you get off work for so long?
I am underemployed & just coming out of what's become an annual winter funk so with spring energy building, your pictures, so vivid...I can smell it.
I just bought a new Mac so am trying to get myself up to speed technically--Ive been having a soft Luddite reaction to all the digital frenzy, so this is my first time linking to a blog. Figures, you're the one dragging me into the future (or present really) again.
Im so glad you're happy in Mexico.
Give A & I hugs for me.
Jenny
You should consider getting comic books, um, graphic novels. The visual cues help loads. I got a lot of Danish from Anders And & Co (Disney) and French from Astérix.
ReplyDeleteThe problem is I don't like comic books, in any language. Besides which, at the rate I'm going I won't be finishing with Goblet of Fire until 2011, since I'm only halfway through Chapter 1. But I just came across the first mention of "Colagusano" (Wormtail). Sounds creepy in Spanish or English, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete